English Methods

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Chapter 9: Assaying Nonfiction

Non-fiction brings a sense of real life to the students in one’s classroom, and also can create empathy, compassion, interest in historical events, etc. These things may never be attained otherwise, because at times students don’t easily connect with fiction because they can distance themselves from the text as it isn’t real. Bringing in non-fiction such as Holocaust literature, memoirs, diaries and journals, students can see how these types of writings can be done, thus springing them into a writing activity of this nature, possibly to include in the portfolio. Non-fiction can show students that everyday life is interesting and worthy of being written to share with others without the need for embellishment. I think the study of this genre helps to give students a sense of self-esteem, as well, because it says to them that you, as the teacher, think their true stories, feelings, actions, are worthwhile and important.
As I mentioned before, the teaching of non-fiction in a reading context can springboard the students into the writing of similar pieces, and it can also serve as an introduction to literary pieces as well. Reading a personal essay, for example, would allow students to study an example, to pick out the essential parts of the essay, and maybe even give the students ideas for writing their own personal essays. Similarly, the reading of a biography on someone like Maya Angelou, before reading Why the Caged Bird Sings is a great way to give students a sense of the writer and the history behind the novel (222).
One problem I see that may arise in the teaching of non-fiction is that students may have had negative, not so interesting experiences with it from past teachers, thus making them initially resistant to studying it at all. The cure, I believe, is the methods of instruction. If I know that my students are dreading non-fiction, I must take care to design highly participatory activities that draw them in, almost forcing them to think about the reading in an interesting way. Also, I must model my own behavior to students by showing genuine interest in the texts I choose to teach. If I do assignments along with the students, and read along with them, I can get a sense of what it is like to be them, and how to help them progress. The students will inevitably see this in me, and appreciate my effort to connect with them. Maybe not all of them, but some.
Creative approaches are key to engaging students in the study of non-fiction, as the book suggests (224). For example, activity 7-2 shows an exercise in comparison that I thought a bit more about. The activity suggests that comparing a non-fiction account of a person’s life and a fictional account would be fun and interesting for students. I agree, but if I frame the activity under the premise that the students are to be investigative journalists, searching for ways to compare and contrast the two pieces, and to find the “facts”, I could then have the next assignment be for the students to complete a write up on their findings, which could then be included in the portfolio. This is a way to incorporate the non-fiction and fiction into the writing requirements. I am sure I would have no problem finding KY Core Content to support this either.
Last, I really want to include the study of slave narratives in my classroom if at all possible. These are a piece of history that can rile students up, forcing them to form opinions on political issues, and to see outside themselves for once. Students at the middle and high school level are so self-centered and have a hard time thinking critically about anything that doesn’t directly affect them. I see a real need for them to step outside of themselves, however, and slave narratives can do that. There are many life lessons to be taught, and not enough hours in the day to teach them all explicitly, but if the students were to read Frederick Douglass’ narrative after they had a fight with their significant other or parents, perhaps they would feel lucky that they weren’t a slave being beaten for telling the truth. Stories such as these can make a person feel that maybe his/her own problems aren’t so bad anymore, you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home